Social Media Policies
Many Peoria County offices have official social media accounts and all fall under this general Peoria County policy. Specific accounts may have varying policies. All policies are posted on Facebook accounts for which the Communications Department has access. For social media platforms that it is difficult to post a full policy, such as Twitter, this page serves as the posting.
Social Media Policy:
Our social media sites are not monitored 24/7. Please call or text 911 in an emergency.
As a communications tool, Peoria County shall utilize its various Facebook, Instagram, Nextdoor, and Twitter pages to raise awareness among Peoria County and neighboring residents and visitors, community partners, and interested fans and followers of the County's offices. Social media sites grant Peoria County an additional opportunity to share our messages with the public. Peoria County's social media sites shall comply with all applicable County of Peoria policies and procedures, including section III‐13B Political Activity of the County of Peoria Personnel Policies. Postings on our social media sites are public records of the County of Peoria and may be subject to disclosure under the State of Illinois' Freedom of Information Act. This includes posts by private citizens. Peoria County uses Archive Social to archive and retrieve social media activity for this purpose.
The intended purpose of Peoria County's social media sites is to serve as one of multiple means of communication between Peoria County and members of the public. Information, posts, tagged content, and comments containing any of the following forms of content shall not be allowed and may be removed from the site without notification to the posting party:
- Profane language or content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, marital status, familial status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, source of income, or other protected status under applicable law
- Inappropriate sexual content or links to inappropriate sexual content
- Solicitations of commerce
- Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity
- Private and confidential information
- Information that may compromise the safety and security of the public or public systems
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party
- Political speech, including but not limited to comments in support of or opposition to political campaigns or ballot measures
- Comments that are personal attacks on Peoria County employees or members of the public
- Personal information including but not limited to e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
- Multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted/identical
Peoria County disclaims any and all responsibility and liability for any materials or content that Peoria County deems inappropriate for posting. Peoria County shall make efforts to remove said materials during business hours but disclaims liability if circumstances exist that prevent or hinder efforts to remove said materials.
Peoria County does not endorse nor otherwise support or sponsor any advertising that may be posted by a social media platform on our pages. Social media platforms are privately operated, and the terms and conditions of individual platforms apply. Peoria County does not guarantee the reliability or accuracy of any third‐party links. Peoria County reserves the right to remove by hiding or deleting, at their discretion, any comment or conversation that is prohibited by this Social Media Policy or the terms of the platform.