Stay connected with your local warning systems
- Sign up for local Code Red phone and email alerts.
- Follow reputable social media sites like Central Illinois Emergency Information on Facebook.
- Watch local TV news and the Weather channel.
- Review Central Illinois National Weather Service online.
- Stay tuned to local radio stations.
- Get a crank or battery operated weather radio.
- Listen for emergency Civil Defense sirens.
Know the difference
- Watch the weather and be prepared to take shelter immediately if conditions worsen.
- A tornado warning is issued when a tornado funnel is sighted or indicated by weather radar.
- Take shelter immediately.
- A severe thunderstorm watch means severe thunderstorms are possible in your area.